Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Fox News--The Evil Channel?

Is Fox News the enemy of all that is unbiased or a balance to the current popular liberalism of the day?


George Bush is the devil and to be liberal is the only way to remain unbiased in today's journalism...or some would say. I've noticed at my time at Medill that Fox News has an ugly cloud over its head, mainly that it leans too far right to be unbiased. The right has become labeled as the opposite of everything that lies in a democratic society, and the sum of all that is untruthful. But what's wrong with the right? Is it really true that if a person is opposed to same-sex marriage and abortion, they are aligned with the dreaded Republicans and therefore not as free-spirited as those who welcome everything into society? What if we rewinded time 50 years ago? Would those who champion values that have disintegrated be labeled as evil right-wingers?

Now, I'm a personal fan of CNN, but I think it's funny that extremely opinionated people lecture others about being unbiased. Really, there is no way to be unbiased. We will bring our values and assumptions into every story.

Maybe Fox wouldn't have such a bad rap if we didn't have a President leading a war that no one likes. Oops, but maybe I'm being biased.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/10/10/EDG6PKDV631.DTL

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really agree with this post on many levels. I find it very frustrating that everyone feels ashamed to watch Fox News or embarassed to tell others that they like it. In a democratic society, we should be allowed to express our views and opinions, especially at graduate school.

I also find that you have to tiptoe around on egg shells when talking about Fox.

I personally don't even think Fox News (commentary and personality driven shows aside) is that biased. I am sure others will argue with me here. People only say so because it is a little different than every other liberal media outlet.

POSTED BY: TD

 
At Sunday, October 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only places where Fox News gets a "bad rap" are in the hallowed halls of journalism schools and in the newsrooms of competitors.

And if I had a dime for every time a professor has made a disparaging remark about President Bush and/or Fox News, my tuition would be paid in full by now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home